Following a Car Accident, You Need an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer by Your Side
Car accidents can be both physically and emotionally devastating. If you were in a car accident at the fault of another driver, a car accident lawyer can help you get compensation for injuries and damages. The Huerta Law Firm is prepared to assist you in creating and executing your case. The sooner you seek our legal advice, the sooner you can protect your wellbeing and receive the money you deserve to piece your life back together.
Why Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
Many people assume that the insurance company’s claim will cover the needed repairs for your vehicle, but what they don’t realize is that your physical and emotional damage may not be entirely covered. Once you file a claim with your insurance, it’s up to them to determine the value of damages. You also risk the possibility of having the claim denied altogether.
While you have the option of filing multiple claims with different insurance companies, you risk the possibility of never reaching the compensation you truly deserve. If your injuries are more serious, you should consult with a car accident lawyer.
Reasons you need a lawyer include:
- You may inadvertently admit fault when the accident was not your fault.
- Establishing negligence is not easy to do on your own.
- Insurance adjusters are trained to minimize the payout.
- If your loved one was wrongfully killed in a car accident, without a doubt you need a lawyer to defend the rights of you and your family.
- An attorney will provide you with clarity when you’re unable to think straight.
- Your rights will be protected as an attorney’s role is to explain your options and fight on your behalf.
- Most importantly, to seek the fair and maximum compensation you deserve.
Knowing What to Do If You’re Involved in a Car Accident
Following a car accident, there are certain steps you should follow to ensure your safety and the safety of anyone else involved.
1. Find a Safe Place. The last thing you want is to linger in the middle of the road, so if you can, find a safe place to work things out. Be sure your car is parked and not moving before doing so.
2. Call 911. If you or others are injured, it is especially important to call 911. However, it’s required to call the police either way. So, once you are sure everyone is safely out of the way of oncoming traffic, call 911. If you have flares or similar items in your car, you can use those as well.
3. Gather the necessary information. If no one is hurt and you are able to do so, be sure to gather necessary information, like the other driver’s insurance and contact information.
4. File a claim with your insurance company. Your insurance company will give you the next steps after being in an accident, such as how much you will pay for the damages and for the other party’s damages, if applicable, and will direct you to auto body shops to have your car repaired.
5. Hire a car accident lawyer. If you were in an accident at the fault of another driver, a car accident lawyer can help you build a case, especially if the other driver doesn’t give you their information or doesn’t have insurance.
Can I Hire an Attorney If I’m at Fault?
Yes, you have the right to hire an attorney even if you were partially or fully at fault of the accident.
If the accident is your fault, the other party’s insurance will contact your insurance company to hash out the details. In this situation, you will most likely have to pay for damages and injuries the other party experienced because of the accident. In this scenario, a car accident lawyer can defend you and help you navigate the legal aftermath of an accident.
What If I’m Not at Fault?
If you’re not at fault for the accident and it was at the fault of another person, you can take a few courses of action. First and foremost, you should get their information so you both can file a claim with your respective insurances. If the person doesn’t have insurance, refuses to give you their information, or leaves the scene of the accident, or you feel like you weren’t compensated fairly, a car accident lawyer can help you.
How Do Settlements for Car Accidents Work?
Generally, an insurance company’s settlement is paid out in one lump sum. Insurers do not designate amounts based on damages as a jury would. A jury designates damages for items such as medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and economic and noneconomic losses.
Connect With a Tough Car Accident Lawyer in El Paso Today
At the Huerta Law Firm, we’re dedicated to helping everyone who has been in an accident and needs legal help. Please call us today for more information. Do not delay getting help as every passing moment makes a difference to your well-being.