DWI Legal Assistance in El Paso
Drinking and driving is a serious offense, so if you’ve been charged with a DWI or DUI, you know how harsh the punishment is. A DWI attorney can help you by representing you in court and building a case to get your record expunged.
DWI vs. DUI
When drinking and driving, you can be charged with two different things; a DWI and a DUI. A DWI, which stands for driving while intoxicated, is given when you are caught in the act of drinking and driving, usually because of reckless driving due to inebriation. A DUI, or a driving while under the influence charge, is given when you are found to be driving while intoxicated during a routine traffic stop. It’s important to know the difference between the two charges because they can affect what kind of punishment you receive.
What Happens After a DWI/DUI?
In Texas, drunk driving is taken very seriously. In fact, if you receive one, you’ll have to deal with many penalties, including:
- License Suspension- For your first DWI/DUI offense, your license can be suspended anywhere from 90 days to a year. For your second or third offense, this time can be a lot longer.
- Increased Insurance Rates- As with any traffic violation, your monthly insurance rates may increase with a DWI/DUI offense.
- Hefty Fines- For a DWI/DUI offense, you may have to pay up to $2,000 in fines. After a third offense, the fine increases to up to $10,000.
- Added Points to Your License- For each traffic violation you receive, “points” are added to your license. These points accumulate over time and if you receive a certain number of points within a certain amount of time, your license may be suspended.
- Jail Time- Even if it’s your first offense, a DWI/DUI may land you in jail for anywhere from 72 hours to 180 days. The jail sentence increases for both your second and third offenses.
Punishment for Minors
Punishment is different for adults and minors. In Texas, anyone under the age of 21 is considered a minor for laws involving alcohol. Minors may face punishments like license suspension, community service, and probation. These punishments may increase in intensity for each subsequent crime committed.
The Huerta Law Firm in El Paso
If you’ve received a DWI/DUI, a DWI lawyer can help you minimize the punishment you receive. The Huerta Law Firm can help you. Call us today for more information!