Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in El Paso
Our Team is Here to Protect Your Rights
If you or a loved one were recently injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to contact a motorcycle accident lawyer. Motorcycle accidents typically result in severe, life-changing injuries. As such, you could be entitled to financial compensation. At the Huerta Law Firm, our motorcycle accident lawyer can assist you in the legal process of seeking damages. Damages could include medical bills, lost wages, rehabilitation costs, motorcycle repair, pain, and suffering, as well as disability. For surviving relatives, you will want to proceed with a wrongful death suit.
Common Reasons Motorcycle Accidents Happen
Motorcyclists face a significantly higher risk of being struck by another vehicle than other motorists. This occurs as a result of negligent behavior, wherein the motorist fails to watch out for motorcycles on the road.
By their very nature, motorcycles are much more dangerous given the smaller size and weight of the vehicle. On top of that, roads tend to be full of hazards that affect motorcycles more intensely. While other vehicles such as cars and trucks may see potholes, uneven lanes, cracked pavement, dead animals, or unexpected objects in the middle of the road as simple inconveniences, motorcyclists are at constant risk.
Other common reasons for motorcycle accidents include:
- Failing to see the motorcycle driver. You may have seen those signs on the highway that read “Share the Road — Look Twice for Motorcycles.” Across the nation, the message of looking out for motorcycles has been a major priority in an effort to limit motorcycle collisions. The reason behind this issue is that drivers often fail to check or see motorcycles before switching lanes. Drivers risk colliding with motorcyclists when they fail to check their blind spots or avoid using their turn signals.
- Speeding. Another leading cause of motorcycle accidents is speeding. The faster a vehicle is moving, the graver the results will be. Speeding vehicles also pose the risk of coming to a stop suddenly and striking the vehicle in front of them. Moreover, speeding motorcyclists put themselves at risk of hitting another vehicle or object and being thrown several feet as a result.
- Drug and alcohol use. Whether you drive a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle, being under the influence of drugs and alcohol hinders your ability to drive safely. In Texas, based on charges, drivers may face jail time, a suspended license, hefty fines, or imprisonment.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
In 2016, Texas saw zero “deathless days” on the roadways. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, one person was killed every two hours and 20 minutes, and one person was injured every minute and 59 seconds.
Motorcycle drivers are 25 times more likely to be killed in an accident than drivers of cars and trucks. Considering that the average motorcycle weighs 700 pounds while the average car weighs 4,000 pounds, the differences in weight makes a difference in accident severity. Take a look at these staggering motorcycle accident statistics:
- Roughly 60 percent of motorcycle fatalities occur at night
- In 2016, there were 496 motorcyclists, including operators and passengers, who were killed in accidents. Approximately 53 percent of those killed were not wearing a helmet.
- Motorcycle drivers 40 and younger are 36 more times more likely to be killed than other drivers in the same age group.
- Motorcycle drivers 40 and older are approximately 20 times more likely to be killed than drivers in the same age group.
- Motorcycles only represent one percent of miles traveled nationwide but account for 14 percent of annual traffic deaths.
Injuries May Result in Life-Altering Complications or Death
According to the Centers for Disease Control, 1.5 million people were treated for motorcycle injuries between 2007 and 2015. The CDC found that 22 percent of most motorcycle accidents affected the head and neck. Given the impact that drivers experience, the body can be severely injured or a person can lose his or her life.
Major injuries from motorcycle accidents include:
- Head injuries. As one of the most common injuries for motorcyclists, victims face short-term or lifelong complications including concussions, seizures, disorientation, changes in mood, or migraines.
- Road rash. When drivers slide across the pavement, if they’re not wearing protective clothing, they will likely get a road rash that could damage the surface of nerves, lead to infection, and cause excessive skin irritation.
- Muscle damage. Without protective gear, drivers can suffer from muscle damage that could be temporary or permanent.
- Leg injuries. Legs are especially susceptible to injury in motorcycle accidents. Drivers risk bruises, fractures, loss of function and sensation, as well as amputation.
- Biker’s arm. Biker’s arm is one of the most common conditions that riders face following an accident. Since most riders land on their arm, they severely damage it. Often, complications are not as obvious but become known months later.
Work With an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, then you need to work with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer to protect your rights. Your health could be at risk as well as your financial security if you’re unable to return to work right away. With the experience and confidence to take on your case, your motorcycle accident lawyer will be able to provide the necessary legal assistance your case requires. This is especially pertinent if you are still in the hospital or recovering at home. The Huerta Law Firm is prepared to handle your case. Please contact us today to begin the process.
The information contained in the Huerta Law Firm website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any matter.