Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in El Paso
If You’re Seeking Compensation, We Can Help
Busy roadways, distracted drivers, and negligent behavior are all common causes of pedestrian accidents. Pedestrian accidents can often result in permanent injuries or loss of life. If you or a loved one has recently been injured in a pedestrian accident, then you are entitled to seek compensation for damages. With the assistance of our experienced pedestrian accident lawyer, your well-being will be protected. Taking action right away is essential to the outcome of your case; call (915) 629-9988 to speak to a personal injury lawyer in El Paso.
Common Causes of Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA), each year, roughly 5,000 pedestrians lose their lives in a vehicle-related accident. The reasons behind accidents range from careless driving to hazardous walkways due to construction. Other common causes of accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Running red lights
- Busy parking lots
- Failing to look both ways before turning
Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Injuries from pedestrian accidents tend to be severe since the impact of being hit by a car or truck—no matter the speed at which it’s traveling—is by no means minimal. Oftentimes, pedestrians are thrown into the air, landing several feet away from where the impact took place. Cars typically weigh about 4,000 pounds; being hit by any heavy object traveling at high speeds can cause extreme amounts of damage and injury.
According to a study by the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, the lower body accounts for 50 percent of areas injured in pedestrian accidents, while the head, face, and neck account for roughly 38 percent.
Common injuries include:
- Brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
What To Do If You’ve Been Involved in an Accident
The aftermath of a pedestrian accident is a whirlwind, and understandably so. In many cases, the driver of the vehicle may attempt to blame the pedestrian for the accident, which is why it’s important for pedestrians to follow proper procedures.
One of the first things you should do is contact the police. If you are unable to do so, then someone at the scene will more than likely call to report the accident to the emergency services.
Even if you are able to stand up, do not leave the scene. Seek medical attention right away. Be sure to gather the name and phone number of the person who struck you, as well as contact information from any witnesses.
Most importantly, do not make comments regarding the accident to anyone. This includes the other driver who may attempt to put words in your mouth or the insurance company. Stick to facts, as often in emotional settings, people unintentionally admit fault. Contact us right away and we’ll guide you in the right direction.
Pedestrian Rights — Knowing When It’s Safe to Proceed
According to Texas law, pedestrians don’t always have the right-of-way when it comes to sharing the road. There are instances in which a pedestrian right-of-way is assumed but the insurance company of the driver will claim that the pedestrian dashed out in front of the vehicle.
The rule to follow is that, as a pedestrian, you have the right-of-way at controlled intersections (stop signs and traffic lights) as well as marked crosswalks. Pedestrians should not stop or delay traffic when crossing these areas. When it comes to areas that are uncontrolled or unmarked, the pedestrian must give the driver the right-of-way.
Working With an El Paso Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
There are a handful of reasons you should hire a pedestrian accident lawyer, including the following:
- You may be too injured to focus on legal matters. If you’re currently in the hospital or recovering at home, it’s important for you to focus on improving your health and well-being. Our pedestrian accident lawyer in El Paso can handle legal matters concerning your case so you can recover in peace.
- You need help proving who was at fault. Providing key evidence is never easy. The Huerta Law Firm will help collect all existing evidence as well as new evidence.
- You need to negotiate a fair settlement. Settlements generally start off low. Your lawyer’s role is to provide substantial evidence in order to negotiate higher compensation by showing the true cost of damages. Medical costs, pain & suffering, and lost wages can all be considered damages.
- You need a lawyer to represent you in court. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, a lawyer will take the case to court. Our pedestrian accident attorney has represented numerous victims in court, so we have the confidence to win your case.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in El Paso Today
The Huerta Law Firm is committed to representing victims of pedestrian accidents across El Paso County. Receiving legal assistance can make all the difference to your case. To discuss your situation, please contact us online or call (915) 629-9988 today to schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer in El Paso.
The information contained in the Huerta Law Firm website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any matter.